Call For a Free Consultation 914-801-7698 914-232-2242 914-801-7698 | 914-232-2242

When Should I Hire a Special Education Attorney

As a parent, it can be difficult to know when it’s the right time to bring in legal counsel. As a parent of a child with special education needs and / or disabilities, you are accustomed to acting as your child’s advocate, and you may feel that you can handle issues with the school on your own. However, special education cases can quickly become complex. Having a lawyer on your side can ensure that you and your child’s rights are protected at every stage.At the Law Office of Peter D. Hoffman, PC, in Katonah, we help parents and children resolve special education issues and disputes. We are committed to providing you with the answers, support and advocacy you need.

When You May Need an Attorney

It may be beneficial to speak with an attorney about your situation if:

  • The school is denying your child a special accommodation. If you know that your child needs specific accommodations and the school is refusing your request, an attorney can help you understand your options and take action.
  • There is an IEP or 504 hearing. You have a right to bring representation to these hearings. An attorney can help you prepare and act as your advocate during the proceedings.
  • The school district has brought in an attorney. When the school brings in their own legal counsel, it is important that you come to any meetings, negotiations and hearings equally prepared and represented.
  • You have questions about the process. The school district has its own goals, and they may not provide you with clear answers about your rights and options. By having a lawyer on your side, you can get the answers you need from an individual with local experience handling these types of cases.

Whether during the development of an IEP or 504 plan or after the school has denied your child an accommodation, a special education lawyer can help you understand your rights and ensure your child gets the educational opportunities he or she needs. Contact the Law Office of Peter D. Hoffman, PC, in Westchester County by calling 914-232-2242 or 888-314-0722. You can also email our firm.

Our Office

    • South Salem Office
      96 Spring Street
      South Salem, New York 10590
      Phone: 914-232-2242
      Fax: 914-232-2245

Reviews and Ratings