Protecting Families,
With Over 25
Years of Experience
Get Started

Special Education Law

All children with special needs and / or disabilities have the right to a free and appropriate education. Unfortunately, receiving a free and appropriate education may be a struggle. At the South Salem, NY Law Office of Peter D. Hoffman, PC, we work with the laws concerning students, schools, child protective services and parents. This can be complex, but we can help you navigate the labyrinth of special education law.

Our firm has been successful in assisting families place their children in special education school district programs and therapeutic private school programs that can serve the needs of special education students, at the expense of the district. Moreover, we can help you try to obtain attorneys’ fees when we have been successful in litigation.

Our experienced lawyers have worked with families and their children over a wide range of educational and emotional disorders, including, but not limited to:

  • Autism spectrum disorders

  • Dyslexia and other reading disorders

  • Speech and language disorders

  • Attention deficit disorder (ADD and ADHD)

  • Processing disorders

  • Emotional disorders

  • Physical disorders

  • Pervasive development disorder —
    not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS)

  • Asperger’s syndrome

  • Developmental disorders

  • Learning disabilities

  • Vision and sight disabilities

  • Behavioral disorders

  • Mental retardation

  • Head and brain injuries

  • Mutism and selective mutism

  • Drug and alcohol abuse

  • Schizophrenia

  • Bipolar disorder

  • Cerebral palsy

  • School phobia

  • Multiple sclerosis

  • Muscular dystrophy

  • Other issues

Our past experience allows us to work in a cooperative approach with school districts. Exploring all options, our goal is the placement of special needs children in therapeutic or special education schools at the expense of local districts. While we fight to protect and assert children’s rights to access to an appropriate education, we can also help you with all other legal concerns tied to special education law.

Working with Special Education Experts

Focused on special education law and related matters, we have developed a wide range of resources that allows us to handle the most complex cases. We can refer you to a full range of special education professionals to help in this comprehensive process, including:

  • Neuropsychologists

  • Psychiatrists

  • Classroom observers

  • Physical therapists

  • Reading specialists

  • Board-certified behavior analyst, BCBA

  • Social workers

  • Special education experts

  • Psychoeducational evaluators

  • Occupational therapists

  • Speech and language therapists

  • Other experts

  • Psychologists

  • Applied behavior analysis, ABA, providers

Contact Us

We understand you have questions about the rights of your child and the availability of educational services. With offices in South Salem, NY, we help families with special needs throughout Westchester County, Putnam County, Rockland County, Manhattan and the Bronx in New York. Contact us via email today for more information or call the Law Office of Peter D. Hoffman, PC.

Get Professional Support

Call Now

As a parent, it can be difficult to know when it’s the right time to bring in legal counsel. As a parent of a child with special education needs and / or disabilities, you are accustomed to acting as your child’s advocate, and you may feel that you can handle issues with the school on your own. However, special education cases can quickly become complex. Having a lawyer on your side can ensure that you and your child’s rights are protected at every http://stage.At the Law Office of Peter D. Hoffman, PC, in South Salem, NY , we help parents and children resolve special education issues and disputes. We are committed to providing you with the answers, support and advocacy you need.

When You May Need an Attorney

It may be beneficial to speak with an attorney about your situation if:

  • The school is denying your child a special accommodation. If you know that your child needs specific accommodations and the school is refusing your request, an attorney can help you understand your options and take action.

  • There is an IEP or 504 hearing. You have a right to bring representation to these hearings. An attorney can help you prepare and act as your advocate during the proceedings.

  • The school district has brought in an attorney. When the school brings in their own legal counsel, it is important that you come to any meetings, negotiations and hearings equally prepared and represented.

  • You have questions about the process. The school district has its own goals, and they may not provide you with clear answers about your rights and options. By having a lawyer on your side, you can get the answers you need from an individual with local experience handling these types of cases.

Whether during the development of an IEP or 504 plan or after the school has denied your child an accommodation, a special education lawyer can help you understand your rights and ensure your child gets the educational opportunities he or she needs. Contact the Law Office of Peter D. Hoffman, PC, in Westchester County by calling. You can also email our firm.